Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How easily/difficult is it to control the amount of weight you gain while pregnant?

I want to have another baby but I am about 60lbs overweight. I am trying to lose some weight before it happens but if I dont I want to know from those with experience how hard or easy it is to control what you gain.How easily/difficult is it to control the amount of weight you gain while pregnant?
That kind of depends on you. It is a matter of controlling what and how much you eat. Women in modern society are expected and almost encouraged to gain too much weight during a pregnancy, when in reality a full term pregnancy should result in 20 to 30 pounds of gain (but up to 40 is normal and safe). If you are overweight this number drops. If you are 60 pounds overweight you could potentially end up smaller at the end of your pregnancy and still be healthy and have a healthy baby. (as long as the weight loss is very gradual and not a result of crash dieting or eating less than one should.) Pregnant women do need to consume more calories than you normally would but the truth is this doesn't give license to eat for 2 (or 3 or 4 grown men) like women tend to justify. Also the increase in calories should come from healthy foods like fruit and vegetables not ice cream and snack cakes. I would use the pregnancy as a good chance to overhaul the quality of your diet. Sometimes (especially for woman who may have a small self control issue with food) it is easier to say ';I'm eating healthy for the baby'; as apposed to following a diet just for the sake of a swim suit. I would defiantly start now with the life style change ( no one especially a pregnant woman should crash diet) Eat a good nutritious, balanced diet and start exercising. Do it for the baby. Also the healthier your body is the more likely you are to conceive. Once you become pregnant Consult your physician. They will be able to discuss what foods and how much you need. You should also discuss excessive with them. Most Doctors will not recommend beginning a new excessive program but you can continue with exercises that you body is accustomed to during your first tri and then beyond that they can show you knew exercises that will not only keep you healthy and get you moving but will also strengthen important muscles and make you more comfortable later in your pregnancy. You should check out the pregnancy books at the library or book store. They all ways address diet and excessive and will help you get a handle on what eating for 2 really means. Remember though if you do gain instead of losing it's worth it, you will have a beautiful baby to love and enjoy.How easily/difficult is it to control the amount of weight you gain while pregnant?
I gained all different weight amounts with my three pregnancies and I always ate my same diet. The first baby I lost weight, the second I gained 70lbs and the third i gaind 35lbs. So you never know! If you eat healty through out your pregnancy it is easier to lose the weight afterwards.
I found it very hard to control my weight gain during pregnancy. I was about thirty pounds overweight when I got pregnant with all three of mine. The first time I gained 80 lbs. The second time, I was extremely careful, and I gained 50. With my last, I gained 65. I was on bedrest with each from about seven months due to pre-eclampsia, so that didn't help.
I was about the same when I got pregnant. In the beginning it was pretty easy, I actually lost weight from not wanting to eat with the morning sickness. I'm about 6 months along now and I'm really having to watch what I eat a lot more because my appetite seems to have gone crazy. But, still overall I've only gained about 10 lbs so far, which I don't think is too bad. Plus a couple of that is breast tissue, they seemed to have doubled in size, and they were big to begin with. I say as long as you try everyday to eat some good stuff, lots of protein, veggies, fruit, etc. and try (tho it is hard) to stay away from the junk food, you can manage to stay under the recommended weight gain for overweight women which is 15-20 lbs overall. Good luck.
well i was overweight when i got pregnant with my daughter and i lost 23 lbs during my pregnancy...its really hard to say if its easy to control or not since each pregnancy can be different
If you're already overweight its very VERY hard to control what you put on when pregnant.





STarting at an ideal weight is better.





Eating right and staying healthy when pregnant helps avoid excess weight gain.





I havent had any issues with weight gain with this pregnancy. I stay active and only eat when iam hungry, and try to eat small meals of things that are good for me and baby.





I started out on the low side of average for my hight and age, the doctor wants me to put on more like 35-40 pounds with this pregnancy. going from 126 to 158 in 7 1/2 months is NOT fun, but aparently its acceptable.





Talking with your OB before getting pregnant about this issue can help a lot too. She can give you advice on how to get ready and to avoid it during pregnancy.
I guess it would be hard for you since you already have weight issues....I'd make sure I lose somepounds before getting pg. I was not overweight when I got pg and it's been terrible for me, I have to be very cosiuous of what I eat because my metabolism has changed a lot....if you are overweight you are not allowed to gain as much as someone who is not. When I started I was 130lbs (5'11';) and I have gained 16 lbs...but it's been hard...I put up most weight in the beggining when I was not controlling all the food cravings.
well as of right now, while you are pregnant, you have to eat healthy in order for your baby to be healthy remember there are two you have to provide for now, so you have to eat a good portion of food, and then once the baby is born and while he is taking a nap during the day you can get up and do like sit ups and crunches like that, do them everyday and you will see a difference in your weight.
I lost 18 pounds in the first two months of my second and 21 pounds with the third. Didn't have morning sickness, just no appetite. With the first preg I gained 45 pounds. Ate everything in sight. A friend of mine was at least 60 pounds overweight, she is only 5.1 and during her pregnancy she lost about 30 pounds, again by not having a big appetite. She was thinner when she came out of the hospital as before and she looked really good, her son was 8.16oz. Alas the dummy gained it all back.


Stay away from sugar, causes yeast. If you absolutely need chocolate, have a small bite size hershey nugget. Eat fruit and lots of veggies.
Weight gain for someone who is 60 lbs over ideal body weight should only be about 20-25 lbs or so. If you eat healthy (lots of veggies, fruit, water, lean protein, skim milk) and oly eat when you are actually hungry, not just because you are ';eating for two'; and if you maintain an exercise program (or even start one) then controlling the amount of weight you gain isn't impossible, but it takes determination and commitment. Before starting an exercise program, talk to your physician, and make sure to start slow. The weight gained in the first trimester is mostly maternal weight, so that would be where I would focus on control. Second and third trimester are more baby. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment